Monday, June 29, 2009

appreciate (101)


I wanted to do these more in depth. Yet, there is an urgency of need for basic knowledge on contemporary african american artists. I know I posted a like blog the other day but here are two well known African American artists. These are just a small bit of a beautiful culture of artists who are building their own aesthetic. So, for those who ever feel like sharing please, please do. For those who are already familiar: it's always nice to revisit.

Allison Saar- the daughter of Betye Saar (who we know for the found object sculpture of the 60's: The Liberation of Aunt Jemima.) I have Lunaseas: Sea of Fecundity posted. She has one work in the trees at Laumeier Sculpture Park in St. Louis. (lol. the poster for my current exhibition looks a lot like the one I have posted. I am sure very different in person and context. As a ceramicist I do wonder how many ways a clay mask can be made... I hope infinity and one.
Kerry James Marshall- Who can't love Kerry? He has work at the St. Louis Art Museum. If I am not mistaken the image I have posted and a basketball print(? I will have to get back to you on that one but I am pretty sure?) His work is huge. He is usually always responding to/representing african american subject matter.

Google them to get more aquainted with their work.

No comments: